Project Scientist – Geologist – Engineer II
Ransom, a Pinchin Company, is seeking a Project Scientist with a background as a Geologist and/or Environmental Engineer to join our Portsmouth, New Hampshire office.
The Project Geologist/Environmental Engineer is responsible for the following primary functions:
- The workload for this position is multidisciplinary but requires strong analytical skills and a background in geology and/or environmental engineering.
- Responsible for implementing technical programs for contaminated and clean water hydrogeologic investigations, lead, asbestos, and/or mold investigations, state and federal permitting projects, and site selection and investigation for aquaculture and other commercial or industrial clients.
- Experience with marine science and/or oceanography is a plus for this position as well.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple project tasks with limited supervision.
- This position also requires excellent verbal and written communication with the ability to serve as an author of site investigation reports, permitting documents, and other technical and non-technical documents.
- Oversees complex projects with multiple technical elements and requirements.
- Assists APM/PM/SPM with development of the scope of work (SOW), budgets and proposals, etc. fornew projects based on technical expertise and field work best practices.
- Works with PMs, SPMs to provide technical input commensurate with expertise on proposals, SOW, andcost estimates for new and ongoing projects.
- Seeks new opportunities by interfacing with client and subcontractor personnel and listening for otherproject opportunities or referrals that can leverage Ransom’s technical capabilities.
- Reviews project documents, including boring logs, test pit logs, daily field logs, chain of custody, sitesketches etc. to ensure technical accuracy and compliance with Ransom SOPs.
- A master’s degree in geology, hydrogeology, environmental engineering, or other directly related field is preferred. Candidates without a master’s degree and/or sufficient relevant experience will also be considered.
- 2 to 7+ years of relevant experience in consulting or other closely related business.
- Strong understanding of principles of geology, hydrogeology and/or environmental engineering.
- Experience in implementing hydrogeological investigations of contaminated sites in overburden systems and sedimentary/crystalline bedrock systems.
- Experience testing public and/or private water supply sources (surface water and/or groundwater)
- Experience conducting hydrologic work such as stream gauging, developing rating curves, water balance models, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Skills in spatial data analysis using ArcGIS or other GIS-based workflows.
- Skills in technical computing and data analysis using software such as Matlab, R, or Python
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
WORKING CONDITONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Able to lift standard field equipment and supplies alone or collaboratively.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Employees must be able to work in a variety of temperatures and weather conditions (cold, heat, rain, and snow).
- The employee is required to drive to job sites and must have the ability to travel on short notice as well as the ability to travel to locations that may be 2-3 hours from the home office on a regular basis. There may be occasional overnight travel.
Ransom, A Pinchin Company, has a company culture that encourages interaction by organizing company outings such as holiday meals and group charity participation. We value our team and strive to maintain a positive, supportive, flexible, and transparent workplace that is reflected in the high-quality service we provide our clients.
We offer competitive salaries and great benefits, but what makes Ransom stand out from the crowd?
- Medical, dental and vision plan options.
- Basic Life Insurance, Accident & Critical Illness Insurance
- Flexible workplace to support work life balance
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Paid time-off and holidays, Parental Leave.
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.